Isn't it funny how sometimes people expect friendships to follow a sequence?
I think if two people are meant to click as friends, they will. It does not matter how and when they got introduced to each other! It does not matter if they are now closer to each other, than to the common friend through whom they met! I've heard some of my friends complain, oh, I introduced her to so-and-so, and now she hangs out with so-and-so more than she hangs out with me. But time doesn't really have a lot to do with it, does it? Just because you knew the person longer, doesn't mean you can lay claim to being a closer friend?
As easy as it may be for all of us to say 'no' to the above, I guess we've all done it at some point of time. We've all been possessive about our friends at some point of time. But this isn't an accounting entry, or a computer memory, where I can dictate the strength of a friendship through some hard and fast rule or have it increase only in sequential order. The heart doesn't follow rules. The heart does what it pleases. And if your friend now has another 'closer' friend... let go.
Its strange how sometimes two people start on a wrong note, and then go on to become such close friends. Even as I type this, my mind is flooded with instances of people who are now dear to me, but who I disliked like hell on my first encounter. Once again re-iterates my belief, that if two people are supposed to click, they will.
Another strange thing about friendship is that a lot of it is only contextual. Not every good friendship is going to last forever... and we shouldn't try to stretch it. I used to chat for hours with a friend everyday for 2 years, when in school, and now I don't even know where she is. No and it is not because I haven't bothered to keep in touch. Its because some friendships only work well in a particular context. Some friendships are only meant to last a while. And rather than being sorry about it coming to an 'end', I guess we just have to cherish the good times.
The friendships that don't depend on a context... the people who I can relate to no matter how many years since I last spoke to them... the ones who I can talk to for hours regardless of how long I've known them for.... they are the ones who define 'great friends' for me.
2 comments:
Humans and relationships are too complex to be reduced to a set of rules. There can be too many or too few reasons for people not clicking. There can be none at all and it was just that they never shared. At the end of the day, the best you can do is accept life and move on.
yeah true :)
Post a Comment